Thursday, August 10, 2017

Book Club Thursday: CLEARING OFF THE BOOKSHELVES August 10, 2017




Hi Readers! I can't believe how fast summer is going by. I saw Halloween decorations in a store today. Believe me, I am in no rush for cold weather to begin. This week, we BCT bloggers are Clearing Off The Bookshelves. Each of us are reading and reviewing something that has been on the TBR pile for six months or longer. This month, I am taking something off my Kindle shelf. 




My pick this month is THROUGH HER EYES by Beth Kery. It was her first published story, released in 2009, but the edition I read was from 2012 in which the author tidied up the story a bit.






Claire despises her ability to see into the future. But when her dreams include a heated encounter with a gorgeous, dominant, mysterious lover—and a spine-chilling foretelling of danger to her own life—she knows she has to make a choice between the safety of denial and the seductive passion that seems to go hand-in-hand with her own death. Having had a taste of the wild hunger that flares with her dream lover, it’s not much of a choice at all.He’s not psychic, but Des knows things Claire’s power can’t reveal. He knows about a psychopathic madman who’s set his sights on Claire, and the fact that her brainy, rational exterior hides a deeply sensual, uninhibited woman. Des also knows something else—that he will claim Claire as his.If he can keep her alive, that is.


I picked this month's pick for two reasons. The heroine in the story is a psychic and she lives in the town that I was born in, Chicago. 
     The story takes place in an old mansion in a wealthy part of the city. Claire inherited the house from her aunt with whom she was always close to and has recently passed. Her aunt was psychic and she said Claire was, too. Claire is a psychiatrist and never excepted her ability, but once she moves into the house, her "gift" is awakened through dreams.
     Now when I picked this story, I read the blurb, but the picture of the cover was tiny. This story was published by Ellora's Cave, one of the first publishers offering ebooks as well as trade. They also published erotica and a lot of good authors started here like Lora Leigh, Shiloh Walker, Maya Banks, etc. The stories are hot, spicy and sensual. There is a lot of sex and not for the faint of heart. Definitely for ages 18+.
     Imagine having the greatest sex of your life-in your dreams with someone that you haven't met yet. Claire meets Dez the next day after her dream. He knew her aunt and the heat continues between him and Claire. He isn't psychic, but he can remember bits of their shared "dreaming."Unfortunately, Claire also ended up seeing a dead woman in her dream which might be her. She has felt like she is being watched. Dez wants to help, but he has some secrets. Even though they've never met, there are things which have happened that link them together, making them destined to meet.
     The story isn't bad, especially for a first story. The bad guy is obvious, there are only a few characters in the book. It is just a matter of proving he is bad before someone gets killed. Claire and Dez were definitely hot for each other. Sometimes I liked them, and sometimes they had me shaking my head. The story was spicy, the paranormal wasn't in your face. The story is very insta-love, but I like that in erotica. There is also some suspense in the story and not just sex for sex sake. On a scale of 1-5, I would give it a 3.5 for a solid good, not great story.





This book is Ms. Kery's first book, published in 2009 by Ellora's Cave. It is not currently available as an e-book at Amazon or B & N. You may be able to find the original trade size paperback at your favorite used book store. 





















August 17th-COVER TALK







4 comments:

  1. It has been forever since I've read a book by her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either. I want to concentrate on getting more ebooks read.

      Delete
  2. Two of my favorite "erotic" books are by her. I don't think I have/Read this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is an oldie. She does have gome good erotic stories.

      Delete