Thursday, July 13, 2017

Book Club Thursday:Clearing Off The Bookshelves July 2017



Hi Readers! This week, my fellow bloggers and I are Clearing Off the Bookshelves. Yes, it's time to yank something out of that TBR pile to read. Our picks have to have been on the shelf for six months or longer. In my case, my pick has been languishing on the shelf for eight years. Groan. Did I mention I have a tbr pile for each year for at least the last decade? Hmm, so that's at least ten piles. How big is your TBR pile?




SMART GIRLS THINK TWICE
Girls Do Or Don't #4
by Cathie Linz
January 2009



Sociologist Emma Riley's new research project depends on a sexy bartender who wants nothing to do with her project—and certainly nothing to do with Emma. Too bad she's way too smart to ever take no for an answer.



I wish that I hadn't fallen behind on this series especially since it was the last book. This is the story of studious sociologist professor Emma Riley, the "smart one" in her family dynamic. She is back in her hometown to write about a research project dealing with how things changed and how other things stayed the same. She plans on interviewing bad boy bartender Jake to get his take as he is one of the newest citizens in town. He is really an extreme athelete who is laying low while dealing with an accident that killed his friend. At first he says no because he thinks she is another nosy reporter and she is not his type. When the bookish Emma handles herself well in an awkward situation, he rethinks his decision. And somehow, her mother gets him to be Emma's date at the upcoming weddings of both her sisters.
     The story is cute and basic Linz style. Though the plot is nothing new, it is still entertaining with it's bad boy with issues meeting the smart bookish "not his type" heroine. Jake is charming and sexy and slowly falls for the studious Emma. She figures she is not his type and tries to avoid him in the weeks before the weddings. Emma also can't stop thinking about him especially since his apartment is across the alley from her studio apartment. They both have some issues, but the reader knows that they are meant to be together. Jake is a typical hard headed male, making the heroine fall for him, then panics. Eventually after some soul searching, they get their HEA.

     Ms Linz passed away in 2015 leaving her friends and fans feeling her loss. She started in category romance before she went mass market. Her stories were all sweet, witty and filled with fun as well as some quirky characters. Our book club invited her to dinner a few years back and she was a lovely and warm woman which makes for a long-time memorable day. She is missed.


















Get To Know Us Guest Post-July 20th





3 comments:

  1. I love her books! She wrote one of my favorite novellas. It was sad when she passed and I still have the book she brought us at the dinner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I have most of her books and wish I had read this one sooner.

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed her books. I know I never finished this series. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete