Thursday, June 8, 2017

Book Club Thursday:Clearing Off The Book Shelves June 2017



Hi Readers! It's that time again. Yes, we are doing our monthly Clearing Off the Bookshelves. My good friends Ann and Cyndi and I are making an attempt to dig into that everlasting TBR pile. Each of us are picking a book to read that is at least six months old or older. Have you been digging into your TBR pile?




THE SINNER by Amanda Stevens
Book #5 The Graveyard Queen Series
October 1st, 2016 Mira Books



I am a living ghost, a wanderer in search of my purpose and place… 

I'm a cemetery restorer by trade, but my calling has evolved from that of ghost seer to death walker to detective of lost souls. I solve the riddles of the dead so the dead will leave me alone. 


I've come to Seven Gates Cemetery nursing a broken heart, but peace is hard to come by…for the ghosts here and for me. When the body of a young woman is discovered in a caged grave, I know that I've been summoned for a reason. Only I can unmask her killer. I want to trust the detective assigned to the case for he is a ghost seer like me. But how can I put my faith in anyone when supernatural forces are manipulating my every thought? When reality is ever-changing? And when the one person I thought I could trust above all others has turned into a diabolical stranger? 




I love ghost stories. Amanda Stevens Graveyard Queen series is a series that I really love and each book never lasts on the TBR pile for long. Written in 1st person, each story deals with the eerie and edgy life of cemetery restorer Amelia Grey.
     Amelia is hired to restore a cemetery in Ascension, South Carolina accompanied by her old and grumpy dog. In a rundown and overgrown part of the cemetery, she finds graves covered with morte safes. Morte safes are a Scottish invention of putting cages over the graves (by wealthy families) to prevent grave robbers from stealing bodies which were many times sold to medical schools who needed cadavers to study. 


     Unfortunately for Amelia, she discovers the body of a young woman inside one of the cages. It seems a few women are missing and the police are called. The restoration is never the same after that because Amelia can see spirits as well as sense the evil that seems to be watching her, even at the home that she is staying for the time she is in Ascension. Each time she is working in the rundown part of the cemetery, she feels like she is being watched...by the living and the dead.
     It is best if you read the books in order. Amelia has had to cope with her "gift" in each book and has discovered a lot about her own family. Her mother died giving birth to her, but that doesn't mean that someone is not looking out for her. There is an important story thread running through each book which involves Amelia and her former lover John Devlin. He is a former cop and a member of one of the oldest and wealthiest families in Charleston, S. C.  Families with lots of secrets to hide. If you think New Orleans is the only place where voodoo thrives, you would be mistaken. Many areas in the south have a mix of Christian and island peoples of African descents religion similar to voodoo. This is part of the dark and eery parts that add to the gothic atmosphere in the Graveyard Queen series.
     I devoured this book and read it in a couple of days. I had to because the final book in the series is now out, The Awakening. It is the final book in the series, at least for now. I believe she is also writing a spin-off of this intriguingly creepy Graveyard series.
     Sweet Dreams!



Author Amanda Stevens


















June 15th-COVER TALK






4 comments:

  1. What a great review! This sounds like a really good series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I can't wait to read them when they come out.

      Delete
  2. I know you read and reviewed one of her prior books for BCT and that sounded just as good as this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one series I sty caught up on!

      Delete