Thursday, May 11, 2017

Book Club Thursday:Clearing Off The Bookshelves May 11, 2017


Hi Readers! My friends at BCT and I are Clearing Off the Bookshelves this week. My good friends and fellow bloggers  Ann, Cyndi and I are each reviewing a book that has been sitting on our shelves for six months or longer.
     Next month, I am reviewing a book by husband and wife duo Ilona Andrews called WHITE HOT which is book #2 in the Hidden Legacy series. I've been wanting to read books by them for a while because they always sound so good. I checked the blurb and this is a series that should be read in order. Luckily, I bought the first book when it came out in October of 2014. So this month I am clearing off my shelf with BURN FOR ME.





BURN FOR ME by Ilona Andrews
October 28th, 2014
Avon


   #1 New York Times bestselling author Ilona Andrews launches a brand new Hidden Legacy series, in which one woman must place her trust in a seductive, dangerous man who sets off an even more dangerous desire…

Nevada Baylor is faced with the most challenging case of her detective career—a suicide mission to bring in a suspect in a volatile case. Nevada isn’t sure she has the chops. Her quarry is a Prime, the highest rank of magic user, who can set anyone and anything on fire.

Then she’s kidnapped by Connor “Mad” Rogan—a darkly tempting billionaire with equally devastating powers. Torn between wanting to run or surrender to their overwhelming attraction, Nevada must join forces with Rogan to stay alive.

Rogan’s after the same target, so he needs Nevada. But she’s getting under his skin, making him care about someone other than himself for a change. And, as Rogan has learned, love can be as perilous as death, especially in the magic world.
 



Wow, I must say that I totally loved this book! Avon lists it as paranormal romance, but I think it is heavily urban fantasy/paranormal with romantic elements. (That's more what the authors said,too!)

Told in first person (which I didn't know when I bought it, and I pass on a lot of first person stories, but damn, the blurb sounded good!), the story is a fast paced adventure in the world which is full of magic and intriguing characters. Though set in our modern times, everyone has magic powers and they are set in different categories. Those with the strongest powers have formed Houses and they are the ones that influence money and politics. Nothing new there.

First off, we have Nevada Baylor. She is the sacrificial lamb to the company that owns the mortgage on her home and her family private detective business. She is in charge of the  small business since the passing of her late father who started it and she has been busting her butt keeping it running. Her holder, MII, needs her to bring in the spoiled and dangerous son of one of the most powerful Houses in Houston. Houses never suffer their spoiled little darlings to go to jail like the rest of us, so they able to pull strings so that problems will disappear. Nevada is a tough cookie and though she is sometimes scared, she manages to charm the handsome lunatic Adam Pierce to get in contact with her. His power includes fire and he has been getting his way since he was a young boy in school.

Soon after she contacts Pierce, Nevada finds herself being kidnapped by "Mad" Connor Rogan. He is another fascinating character who is rich, handsome, and another powerfully dangerous man who crashes into Nevada's world. He has his own reasons for wanting to make sure Pierce is brought in quickly. Rogan is ex military and kind of icy, but Nevada manages to melt thru some of his darker layers. 

Though the story is dark, edgy, and full of twists, yet at times it is fun and playful. I became fascinated with the many layers of Rogan and Nevada's thoughts can be hilarious. This girl is tough and the head of her family, so she holds her own caught between two dangerous men. I am so glad that I picked this book up and I can't wait to see what happens in WHITE HOT.






Ilona Andrews is the pseudonym for a husband-and-wife writing team. Ilona is a native-born Russian and Gordon is a former communications sergeant in the U.S. Army. Contrary to popular belief, Gordon was never an intelligence officer with a license to kill, and Ilona was never the mysterious Russian spy who seduced him. They met in college, in English Composition 101, where Ilona got a better grade. (Gordon is still sore about that.)


Gordon and Ilona currently reside in Oregon with their two children, three dogs and a cat. They have co-authored two series, the bestselling urban fantasy of Kate Daniels and romantic urban fantasy of The Edge.

















Free Day-May 18th




6 comments:

  1. I read this back around the time it was published. I knew it was first person and went in thinking it was Urban Fantasy (it definitely is). I liked it but it would have been so much better as 3rd person!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about 3rd person, but they still did a good job.

      Delete
    2. I agree about 3rd person, but they still did a good job.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I've always heard such good things about these books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoyable, but I wish they wrote in 3rd P.

      Delete
    2. Enjoyable, but I wish they wrote in 3rd P.

      Delete