Thursday, July 28, 2016

Book Club Thursday: July Reading Challenge 2016



Hi Readers! Thanks for stopping by this week. Summer is flying by and I can't believe that this is the last BCT of July. Join us as we pick a review for our Reading Challenge. Listed are the monthly challenges that we picked for the year.

Read a New Author to You
Read a Book Published Prior to 2010
Read a Novella
Read a E-Book
Read an Erotica
Re-Read a Desert Island Book
Read a Book With a Heroine that Has Your Name
Read a Book You Bought For the Cover or Title Alone
Read a Book Recommend by a Friend
Read a Guilty Pleasure Book
Read a Pee In Your Pants Read
Read a Feel Good Book

My July Reading Challenge Pick is a PEE IN YOUR PANTS READ: THE UNDOING By Shelly Laurenston



THE UNDOING By Shelly Laurenston
Call of Crows #2
Kensington

A risk worth taking… 
 

No one would ever accuse Jace Berisha of having an easy life—considering her husband…you know…killed her. But that was then! Now she fights for mighty Viking gods with the spectacular and vicious Crows.
 
But things are turning very bad, very quickly because a vengeful, ancient goddess has come into the world with just one thing on her mind—ending it. And the only way they can hope to stop her is if the Crows join forces with their one-time enemies, the Protectors. A Viking Clan created to do nothing but kill every Crow they see. 
 
Thankfully, Protector Ski Eriksen is a peace loving kind of guy. Because the woman he is desperately trying to get close to is the beautiful and not-very-chatty Jace. Battling Nordic clans? Unkillable goddesses? Jace’s mean-spirited dog? None of these things would ever get in the way of a true Viking!



     I love doing our reading challenges each month, but some challenges are more challenging than others. Read a novella-easy peasy. Read a book with the heroines name is the same as yours, not so much. At least I have a few more months in the year to read the harder challenges. So this month I decided to read a pee in your pants read. I love comedy in romance and many authors  make me giggle and laugh. But only one author makes me laugh so hard that I have to hold my breath so that I don't wake up the family. She makes me groan, and snort, and I would never want to be drinking something at the same time, lest I spew. Ew! 
     The author, Shelly Laurenston. The book, THE UNDOING. I know, I know. Ann at Romancing the Readers picked this book, too. Who do you think turned me on to Laurenston's writing years ago? To me, Laurenston is the only writer that fits this category.
     This book is the second in the Call of Crows series and I think that it's even funnier than the first. Jace is a girl after my own heart. No, I don't hide in furniture like she does, but sometimes I like quiet and don't feel like chatting because...I would rather be reading! Sharing a house filled with fellow crows and all its chaos makes that hard to do and a girl just needs some down time. Lucky Jace is given an opportunity to get a job outside the house by a Protector named Ski. His owlish brothers are in charge of centuries worth of books from all over the world. Jace knows many languages so they ask her to translate some texts for them. She is reluctant at first, she is a berserker after all, but she eventually gives in. And brings her puppy Lev. One of the Protecters is a gigantic guy named Bear who does not like the idea of a dog in the house, but some of the scenes he is in are hysterical as both Jace and Lev manage to change his mind.
      As always, there is snarky dialogue, fighting, gods and goddesses from Norse mythology, more fighting, and even some romance. Ski may protect books, but he is also a warrior. Watching him and Jace fall in love is a treat. But there are the scene stealers like Bear and Erin. I can't wait for her own story and I almost choked with laughter when she showed someone her jazz hands.
     If you like gentle, sweet romance, then this book is not for you. The women are kick-ass fighters, the guys sexy warriors who are puzzled why these "ladies" fascinate the hell out of them, especially since their clans used to be enemies. And the girls know how to party. The problem with these books is the wait before the next one. Shelly Laurenston is a one of a kind author who crazy sense of humor is all her own, and we the readers are the winners who get to view the snarky genius at work!




Amazon                    Barnes & Noble




Thanks for stopping by. I hope you join us again next week, August 4th when we will be CLEARING OFF THE SHELVES, a review of the ever growing TBR pile that we all have. We are trying our best to read some of our older books, so our picks have been our shelves six months or more.



2 comments:

  1. I love this series of books by her

    ReplyDelete
  2. I picked the same series for the same challenge. I really love this series but her other one is so much better.

    ReplyDelete