Thursday, April 7, 2016

Book Club Thursday-Clearing Off The Shelves April 2016



Hi Readers! Thanks for stopping by this week and joining my fellow bloggers and I at Book Club Thursday. This week, we will be Clearing Off The Shelves. Our criteria, read a book that has been sitting on our personal shelves for longer than six months and be one of the following:


Contemporary Romance
Historical Romance
Paranormal Romance
Romantic Suspense
Hardcover or Trade
Any Series or Category (Harlequin or Silhouette..etc)
Cops/FBI
Cowboys
Highlanders
Shifters
Sports Themed 
I selected a "Contemporary Romance" by one of my favorite authors, Sharon Sala: I"LL STAND BY YOU


I'll Stand By You
Sharon Sala
Published June, 2015
Sourcebooks Casablanca


No one is alone

Dori Grant is no stranger to hardship. As a young single mother in the gossip-fueled town of Blessings, Georgia, she's weathered the storm of small-town disapproval most of her life. But when Dori loses everything within the span of an evening, she realizes she has no choice but to turn to her neighbors.
As long as there is love to give

Everyone says the Pine boys are no good, but Johnny Pine has been proving the gossips wrong ever since his mother died and he took over raising his brothers. His heart goes out to the young mother and child abandoned by the good people of Blessings. Maybe he can be the one to change all that...

Last year, I read another book by Ms. Sala, COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS, a small town romance which featured the battle of the sexes (and was so funny) and it had the first chapter of I'LL STAND BY YOU at the end of the book. Both stories take place in Blessing, Georgia.
     The first chapter had me thinking OMG and I couldn't wait until the book came out. It starts out with a bullied child getting beaten and put in the hospital. He is only seven years old. His older brother Johnny Pine is raising him and another brother by himself. He is a good, hard-working young man and there is no way that the perpetrators are going to get away with this just because the Pine brothers are from the poor side of town.
     Johnny also helps out Dori Grant, an unwed mother, who is just shy of her eighteenth birthday. She is from a good family and now is given the stink-eye by some of the towns "better" citizens. Their romance is shy and sweet. Together, they weather the downside of living in a judgmental small town. They form a bond and create a family together.
     It's hard not to give away too much when writing a review. I love how Sharon Sala pens an emotional story. It took me by surprise quite a few times. Even though there are some in town full of small mindedness, there are also good people that rally behind Johnny and Dori and their problems. It isn't all about the bad, there are sweet moments and humor as well. I admire the two lead characters because of their strong sense of right and wrong, their maturity, and their love of family. They both handle their problems with more grace than a lot of people twice their age. Have I mentioned that Johnny is only twenty one? I'll Stand By You is a heart-tugging tale. What a different little romance!

Amazon               B & N


Stop by and visit my friends at their blogs and see what they picked off of their shelves!



I am glad that you stopped by this week and I hoped that you enjoyed our shelf cleaning! We welcome your thought and hope that you share them with us here at BCT. Stop by again next week, April 14, when we are having a FREE DAY. Until then, Happy Reading!

5 comments:

  1. This sounds so good. From just reading your review I want so badly to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. There were some surprises and I loved the way Sharon handled things.

      Delete
  2. Nice review. I have these somewhere in my TBR mountains, I'll have to go look for them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I really liked the way Sharon handled some of the situations.

      Delete
  3. Nice review. I have these somewhere in my TBR mountains, I'll have to go look for them

    ReplyDelete