Thursday, February 25, 2016

Book Club Thursday: Reading Challenge For February 2016


Hi Readers! Thanks for joining us at Book Club Thursday. The weather here is snowy and what better thing to do than read. This week at BCT we are doing our monthly Reading Challenge. For me, my challenge is: RE-READ A DESERT ISLAND BOOK. You know, one of those favorite books you read and read and read again. The book I picked is AFTER THE NIGHT by Linda Howard first published in 1995.


Originally published December 1995 by Pocket Books

FAITH DEVLIN:A poor, outcast child in Prescott, Louisiana, she'd always adored the town's golden boy from afar. But he called her white trash that sultry Southern night when his rich, respected father disappeared, along with her pretty mom. Now Faith wanted to hate Gray Rouillard...not to feel a powerful surge of desire. But she couldn't quench her passion, any more than she could hide the truth about the past she had waited so long to unravel.

GRAY ROUILLARD: Even when he raised hell, he did it with style. Reckless, charming, and backed by Rouillard money, Gray controlled the town of Prescott--and Devlin was a name he never wanted to hear again. But when he gazed at Faith Devlin, all he saw was a swirl of tangled sheets and her silken flash beneath him. To care for her was impossible, unthinkable...because Gray Rouillard planned to use all his power to ruin her.




     Sure the story is a little dated and the hero starts off crosses the line a few times as a first class jerk. It's Linda Howard's talented writing that keeps you turning the pages. This romantic suspense is sure to push some buttons at times. It is filled with anger, pain, betrayal, and a sizzling chemistry between Faith Devlin and Gray Rouillard.
     Faith is the only one in her poor "trash" family to reject that life and make something of herself. Gray threw her family off his property the night, she was only a shy fourteen year old, his father disappeared assumingly with Faith's mother. She bravely has returned to Prescott, Louisiana to find out what really happened. Gray won't let her stay in town so she rents near the border of the neighboring town.
     Gray did a lot of growing and maturing in the book. He was also young and hurting when he tossed the Devlins out. Regularly a charmer, he realizes eventually that it's not Faith's fault what happened years ago any  more than its her fault she looks like her gorgeous promiscuous mother, especially when Faith is endangered by her investigating.
     The chemistry between Gray and Faith is what  kept me reading. It is hot and sexy , filled with  steam and even some humor. The courthouse scene is hysterical.
      Sometimes we readers and reviewers over analyze stories instead of just relaxing and enjoying a chance to escape from the daily grind. All in all, you like what you like and we all have different opinions. I offer no apologies for liking this book and I will continue to read it again if the mood strikes me. I am just a fan.


Thanks for stopping by this week. I had fun rereading After The Night. I can't wait to see what my friends picked for their blogs. And join us again next week, March 3rd, when we will be CLEARING OFF THE SHELVES! See you then and Happy Reading!





* I am in the middle of a move and have been going thru a family emergency, so I am writing this blog on a borrowed laptop.

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE this book! It's one of my favorite of hers. I can't tell you how many times I reread it. Nice pick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Don't forget the step back cover and satin sheets!

      Delete
  2. I have this one but never read it! I know... I know! LOL

    ReplyDelete