Thursday, November 12, 2015

Book Club Thursday: Reading Challenge for November 2015



Hi Readers! Welcome to this week's edition of Book Club Thursday. The year has gone by so fast and so has our selection choices for our monthly Reading Challenge. This month, I am picking: Read a book that has a 2 star review rating in RT Magazine or Goodreads. This was tougher than I thought it would be. So here is my choice- PURE ABANDON by Jeannine Colette.



Inside The Book:

Kathryn Grayson has it all—a beautiful husband, new baby, and a life most women would dream of. But after putting her career on hold for her family, Kathryn sets out to reclaim the woman she once was.

When Kathryn meets her new boss, Alexander Asher, Manhattan playboy and heir to his family’s fortune, a misunderstanding leads to friendship, the friendship becomes fierce, and soon Kathryn begins to question Asher’s motives … and her own.


Review Time:

This book really didn't do it for me. I found it in the erotic section of RT with a 2 star rating but I thought it was anything but erotic. First off, Erotica in first person is a big turn off for me, it's just not my preference nor is it sexy to me.
     But the biggest taboo, its about cheating and betrayal. That's not sexy to me and that kind of storyline offers no appeal for me. The characters are unlikeable and just because it has sex in it doesn't mean it is erotic. 
     The heroine wants to return to work after staying home with the baby for nearly a year. Her husband, Mr. beautiful lawyer, never seems to want to spend quality time with her and pushes her away, yet likes to jog at night with a tall blond woman who makes it clear she is interested. I can see Kathryn having self-esteem issues after that, especially when her new boss puts the moves on her and makes her feel wanted. Her husband Gabe used to be loving, but he is more like a shallow selfish jerk now. What was once a happy marriage is breaking down fast and both partners are at fault.
     In the end, this book felt more soap opera than erotic and it was not to my liking, JMO. We all have different moral codes and while I didn't care for the story, others gave it 4 or 5 stars. Different strokes. I like my erotic romance to have fire and passion and in the end that happily-ever-after. It's sad that the heroine had a better connection with her boss rather than her husband.
     I did like the cover.

Thanks for joining us at BCT, check out what my fellow bloggers selected for their Reading Challenge. Join us next week, when we have our Reading Challenge Giveaway. See you next week!


5 comments: