Thursday, August 6, 2015

Book Club Thursday:Kid Friendly August 6, 2015


Hi Readers. Thanks for stopping back for this weeks BCT. This week, we are Kid Friendly!

Kids can be an important tool to move a story along. They can be sweet and cuddly or demon spawn. Myself, I think they fit best in small town romances, romantic suspense, and women's fiction. A lot of times they are about one or both of the main couple getting a second chance at love and family. If one partner is widowed and raising kids the plot can bring a lot to the table. The secret baby plot line is as old as time, but can still be done well in talented writing hands. Dialogue can be tricky when trying to write about a toddler or a few years older. A few of my favorite authors didn't get it right (no, I won't name names, it was over a decade ago so I won't hold a grudge) and had the kids sounding horribly cutesy like a bimbo talking to her generations older sugar daddy. Ewww!
       I just finished reading a story about kids that dealt with the cruelty in some kids. It's unusual because the hero is aged 20 and the heroine only 18. The hero's little brother, who is only seven, is severely beaten by four eleven year olds. It really makes you wonder about parenting and the downside of small town living. It's a well done thought provoking story.


I'll Stand By You
by Sharon Sala
Published by Sourcebooks Casablanca-June 2015
No one is alone
Dori Grant is no stranger to hardship. As a young single mother in the gossip-fueled town of Blessings, Georgia, she's weathered the storm of small-town disapproval most of her life. But when Dori loses everything within the span of an evening, she realizes she has no choice but to turn to her neighbors.

As long as there is love to give
Everyone says the Pine boys are no good, but Johnny Pine has been proving the gossips wrong ever since his mother died and he took over raising his brothers. His heart goes out to the young mother and child abandoned by the good people of Blessings. Maybe he can be the one to change all that...
     


Now for something more light-hearted, you can always go back in the vaults for MacKenzie's Magic by Linda Howard. It is a novella published in 1997 and there is a scene stealer named Nick who has all the adult males wrapped around her little finger as well as wondering how they are going to keep her out of prison. One of my favorite kids ever!


I'm glad you stopped by this week. I can't wait to see what my fellow bloggers wrote about. And join us next week for our August Reading Challenge!

Born to Read Books-Cyndi  

Romancing the Readers-Ann                                                  

3 comments:

  1. I enjoy kids in my stories. Not all of them, but most. I agree they fit the best in small-towns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Small town settings do work best for kids, I think...lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Small town settings do work best for kids, I think...lol

    ReplyDelete