Thursday, July 24, 2014

Book Club Thursday: What Does Reading Mean to You?


                         



     Welcome back to this weeks edition of Book Club Thursday. We picked a personal topic this week: What does reading mean to you?
     For me, reading means family, friends and tradition. I come from a long line of readers and I don't know what it is like to NOT have a book in my hand. One of my favorite possessions are some classic books given to me by my grandmother from the late 1800's so I guess reading goes back quite far on my family tree since these books were printed decades before she was born. Even after she retired, my grandmother subscribed to Harlequin. My mother and gram both were Doubleday Book Club members, so I have kept up with that tradition.
     Our reading tradition goes on more generations as my daughters continued to be readers and my granddaughter Lexi won an award in school this spring for reading. I always loved the school book fairs and so did my kids. It's a wonderful feeling after talking about the written word that my grandson, Austin used his birthday money to buy more books. There are wonderful memories of being read to when I was young, and now I read to my little ones.
     Reading is a good way to meet people, too. I have talked to strangers in stores and had conversations with them for hours. I didn't know that there were new and used bookstores, I always bought retail and from the disappearing stores like Kroch's and Brentanos. The new and used stores offered something greater than the chains stores. Personal service, book recommendations, and friends. That is how I met my fellow bloggers, we ended up working for a small bookstore. The store folded when the economy went bust, but the three of us are still friends and we have a book club that includes some of our former customers.
     I am going to share some covers of some of the books that I have read over the years. I hope you enjoy this little bit of nostalgia.




  
 

                                                     
     

I can't wait to read my friends take on this weeks topic. I hope you join us by leaving a comment below. Don't forget to check out the other members blogs, too.


And next week, July 31st, we will be reviewing First To Burn by Anna Richland. This was our Giveaway ebook last week. Join us again. 

2 comments:

  1. Nice post! I too love how reading brought us all together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how reading brought us all together too. I knew I forgot to mention something in my blog- I was a bit pre-occupied though- LOL!

    ReplyDelete