Thursday, July 31, 2014

Book Club Thursday Reviews First To Burn by Anna Richland!



Welcome to this weeks edition of Book Club Thursday. Join us this week as my fellow bloggers and I review First To Burn by Anna Richland. It's the first book in The Immortal Vikings series.


Born to Read Books-Cyndi






E-book available now
Published by Carina Press

BLURB:

A soldier with secrets.
Immortal Viking Wulf Wardsen once battled alongside Beowulf, and now serves in Afghanistan. He's trusted the mortal men on his elite special operations team to protect his secret, until an explosion lands Wulf in a place more dangerous to him than a battlefield: a medevac helicopter.
A doctor with questions.
Army captain Theresa Chiesa follows the rules and expects the same from others, even special forces hotshots like Sergeant Wardsen. She's determined to discover the secret behind his supernaturally fast healing, and she won't allow his sexy smile to distract her.
An enemy with nothing to lose.
Even as Theresa's investigation threatens to expose him, Wulf is stirred by her passion. Dreaming of love and a normal life, he wants nothing more than to build a future with her. But the lost Viking relic needed to reverse his immortality is being hunted by another—an ancient enemy who won't hesitate to hurt Theresa to strike back at Wulf.

My Review:

This book is sure to be a hit. From the sexy cover until the very  last page, this book grabbed my attention. Wulf, an immortal viking working special ops, and Theresa, a dedicated doctor as well as a by-the-book soldier make quite a pair. Both have secrets that have them trying to fight the attraction they need to deny. But fate has a way of changing that.
It's hard to believe that this is a debut story. It is well-crafted with suspense and light paranormal and Ms Richland does a good job of making you keep turning those pages. There is a lot of action, strong secondary characters, some spicy love scenes, and moments of strong emotion.
I found this a an exciting story and I am looking forward to reading the next one. What did you think of the story? I can't wait to see what my friends felt about First to Burn. I am looking forward to hearing from you and don't forget to visit my fellow BCT members blogs.
And I hope you join us next week, August 7th. Fans of paranormal romance will like next weeks topic: Sex With A Shifter!





4 comments:

  1. For a first book I too felt it was very well written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the fact that the author used her military background to help shape this book. It really lent a realistic tone. And who doesn't love a sexy Viking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much! I actually have a question for the three of you ... and Karen's phrase "light paranormal" reminded me to ask. Now that Carina Press sent me several mass-market paperback copies of First to Burn (because it's going to be sent to subscribers in the "direct to customers" box in September! I'm excited!), I'll be using my copies to enter First to Burn in contests like the Daphne Awards, the Prism, the RITAs, etc.

    Do you think it is more a paranormal or more a romantic suspense? Which category? I go back and forth. I've always entered it in paranormal categories in contests, but I wonder if it fits the other equally as well?

    If you were a judge, would you be surprised to see First to Burn in the romantic suspense category?

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna, Do they have a category called paranormal suspense? I have seen some publishers with that as a genre. Each publisher decides which category and sometimes it confuses readers when a story crosses genres. Because Wulf is immortal, and can't die your story is paranormal as well as suspense. I call it Light paranormal because its not "in your face" like having werewolves or vampires as heroes. Your story is also romantic suspense. Some readers of Rom. suspense detest anything paranormal and will pan a book because of that while others like a little paranormal "extra." Basically, it's like trying to find a pair of jeans that fit. Each manufacturer has his own size "12".
      I really don't think it would be a surprise for a judge to find it in Rom. suspense, because it is such a strong suspense story, but I think paranormal (or paranormal suspense) is the better fit, in my personal opinion. I hope this helps a little. And you have a new fangirl here!

      Delete