Thursday, May 1, 2014

When A Favorite Series Ends




Welcome back to Book Club Thursday. This weeks topic, How do you feel if the series you have been reading for years finally comes to it's finale? It seems that nowadays," Series" is the way publishers are selling their books, from trilogies to limited or long running series. No matter the genre, it is very hard to find a single title "stand alone" book anymore. 
     This weeks topic was a little harder than I thought it would be. Except for the obvious trilogies, very few authors that I am reading have ended a series. Right off the bat, I know that J D Robb has been writing her excellent IN DEATH series since 1997 and it is still going strong. Christine Feehan has four series going, and a lot more writers have a couple going at a time, authors write under a pseudonym or they have a second series under a different genre.
    I guess we fans are partly to blame for this. We fall in the with the characters, the towns, and the strong story-lines and different worlds that our favorite authors create. That's why we leave feedback on their websites and Facebook pages. When is so and so's story coming out? How come you didn't write Susie Q's book? We beg and plead even though the author has no more story to give to this particular series, her creative mind has her jumping ship from her sweet romances to the dark side with shifters and vamps, or even a serial killer or two. And if we love their writing, we usually follow happily. 
     So did I manage to find a few? Jo Davis has a 5 book contemporary series: Firefighters of Station Five. Great series, and I really enjoyed it. I miss it, of course, but...Dun dun dun, she now writes a spin-off: Sugarland Blue, stories about the cops in town. Plus, they know the firefighters and I love catching a glimpse of the firefighters that may make a small appearance, especially Howard. Sigh, yes I'm crushing.
     Janet Chapman ended her fun Highlander series and is now writing Spellbound Falls tales. Raeanne Thayne is ending her sweet Hope's Crossing and spinning off to Snow Angel Crossing. I'm a big paranormal romance fan and I do miss the Warriors of Poseidon series by Alyssa Day. Alexis Morgan ended her exciting Paladins of Darkness series and is writing a contemporary series right now. If I want a fix of her paranormal talents, she still writes for Harlequin Nocturne.


279522107112923516986825828396929


Yes, it was harder to find a series that ended than I thought it would be. But if they do, the memories still live on with the very best of them in our 'Keeper" bookcases and shelves. so maybe a favorite series doesn't end or fade away. It just spins-off!
      Thanks for checking out this weeks Book Club. Let us know what you think, and let us know if one of your fave series ended. Don't forget to visit my friends blogs. And don't forget to come back next week. We're sharing memories of the RT Conventions!

Romancing the Readers-Ann

Born to Read Books-Cyndi
                                                                                   

     

2 comments:

  1. I'm bad. I'm sooooo far behind in almost all my series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hated when Alexis Morgan ended her series. I loved them. I also loved Jo Davis, and Alyssa Day. So many good ones. Of course I am now following their new series. lol

    ReplyDelete