Thursday, April 17, 2014

Book Club Thursday: Oops, I Meant That?!

box with question mark icons -
Question mark -

                                                                                             









     Hi and welcome back to this week's edition of Book Club Thursday. For our topic this week, we are talking about those mistakes authors make in their novels. Do you blow them off, or do they make you so crazy that you correct them with a red pen?
     For myself, A mistake here of there doesn't bother me too much if it's something like a misspelled word, or a missing comma. In a sea of words, I can see even the best copy-editor or proof-reader missing something, plus I'm not the grammar police. The big publishing houses seem to do a better job catching things, at least they used to, and as a consumer, I don't want to be spending $8 to $25 on books that irritate me more than entertain me. If you notice on review sights like Amazon, Goodreads, and B & N, it seems like the main culprits are the indy writers and self-published that are skimping on proof-readers, even if they are giving the stories away.
     Here are a few examples that come to mind in and there was just something that didn't let the author or editor off the hook in my mind. I am not naming names, some I read too long ago, but the mistakes are something I have never forgotten:
1) The main character has a name change. Somewhere along the way, more than one author has changed the hero's name and it wasn't caught by the proof-reader. Richard became David for a couple of chapters and I did a double take and had to go back to see the blurb with the hero's name. Another author kept  alternating Johnny and Jimmy for her hero. So I see it happens to more than one author.
2)Crazy mistakes. In one book, the author mentioned the hero swimming barefoot in the sea, but when he came out he was wearing boots! I laughed at that one. This was on the first and second pages of the novella and it wasn't caught. I remember checking and double-checking for a few minutes.
3)Sloppy timelines. One author wrote two books that went together. The first one had characters and their lives and careers right after college, putting them in the mid-twenties age wise. The second book was about their children a couple of decades later. This put the original characters ages as late 40's or early 50's but one of the characters had a decade lopped off her age even though she went to college with the first group. Though the suspense stories were very good, the timeline gave me a headache and I just wish she hadn't mention ages at all.
4)An "Oh well, whatever!" attitude. My friends and I went to an author's book-signing and she told us her writing method and how she used sticky notes for reminders, etc, etc. In one of her books, the heroine was being stalked and the author mentioned a knife several times which was building up the suspense and when an audience member asked her about the knife and what happened to it, she was clueless and had forgotten about it. She actually just shrugged her shoulders and turned the conversation to something else. Kind of sad when you know that she is also a professor who teaches writing.
5)The big build up.  One author wrote a trilogy and it had paranormal elements and each story mentioned time and again about the big battle between good and evil, leaving you hungry for this climax to occur. So did she deliver? Hell no! She chickened out and just mentioned the battle was over and ding dong the witch was dead. And I felt cheated. Three good stories and the ending flat-lined and one of the heroes was left in an amnesiac limbo. Not a good ending for paranormal romance. We want the HEA! Do I still read this author, not really.

So what are your opinions on this week's topic? Please feel free to comment and let us know something that bothers you. And don't forget to check out my fellow bloggers and their take on this subject.

Don't forget to check back with us. We will be announcing our winner for the Cynthia Eden Giveaway with more giveaways in the weeks to come. Next week, we will be reviewing a story by Kathleen Brooks: Blugrass State of Mind. Hope to see you then.

Romancing the Readers-Ann

Born to Read Books-Cyndi

3 comments:

  1. Ha-ha, I remember the knife! It is a pain when a author drops a plot point. It makes you feel like you're missing something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It showed she didn't care anymore, too.

      Delete
  2. Dropping plot points can be an issue, esp if they are BIG ones.

    ReplyDelete