Thursday, November 28, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving at Book Club Thursday!




Who is your favorite family in books?


Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I hope you enjoy a wonderful holiday with your friends and family. And speaking of family, do you have a favorite family by the authors you love? My fellow bloggers and I decided to pick a favorite family for Book Club Thursday this week. And I must admit, it was a little harder than I thought it would be...because there are so many. Some families are quirky, some are brave, some are royal, and some are just family. You might fight and not talk for weeks at a time, but when times get tough, they are always there for you. I went through my back-list of books and I found a family that I really enjoyed. The stories are a little older and may seem dated to some readers, but they brought a lot of joy to many more readers. Here is my pick: The MacKenzie's by Linda Howard Tell us about some of your favorite families in the comment box below. 

My Fellow Bloggers:

Romancing the Readers-Ann
Born to Read Books-Cyndi



2992050


1561628299204864912213053009


Blurb from MacKenzie's Mountain:

SOMETIMES LIFE'S TOUGHEST LESSONS HAVE THE GENTLEST TEACHERS....
A small Wyoming town is about to learn a few lessons -- from a new schoolteacher with the courage to win the heart of a man who swore he had nothing to give....

Mary Elizabeth Potter is a self-appointed spinster with no illusions about love. But she IS a good teacher -- and she wants Wolf Mackenzie's son back in school. And after one heated confrontation with the boy's father, she knows father and son have changed her life forever.

Still paying for a crime he didn't commit, Wolf Mackenzie has a chip on his shoulder the size of Wyoming. But prim-and-proper Mary Elizabeth Potter doesn't see Wolf as the dangerous half-breed the town has branded him. Somehow she sees him as a good, decent, honest man. A man who could love....

Wolf's not sure he -- or the town of Ruth, Wyoming -- is ready for the taming of Wolf Mackenzie.


    This is where the MacKenzie's started with Wolf and petite school teacher Mary. They helped each other heal wounds on the inside. Mary also helped Wolf's teen son Joe reach for his dreams. Later on, Wof and Mary married and had 3 more sons and a daughter, plus they made a home for an abandoned teen named Chance. These books all have a good story, some suspense, some humor, and definitely romance. They are not perfect men, but when they meet the  right woman, its forever. 
     There is also another family member you will meet, a little girl names Nick. If she doesn't melt your heart...

Chance talking to Nick: "You little Anti-Christ," he said fondly. "I'm really going to miss you when you're in prison. I give you...oh maybe to the age of six. (She had decided to check out the roof of the house on the ladder her cousins left up)

Caroline to her husband Joe, mother to his five sons, after Chance rescued Nick from the roof: "I forgive you for not having any female sperm."
     
Now there were a few more families out there. But it was really hard to pick. Some of the other contenders:

The Donovan's by Elizabeth Lowell:  Amber Beach, Jade Island, Pearl Cove, Midnight in Ruby Bayou
The Quinn's by Nora Roberts .  Her Chesapeake Bay series
The Kelly's by Maya Banks, The KGI series
The Black Dagger Brotherhood by J R Ward- Only two men are actually brothers, but since they began meeting the females in their lives, they have become closer than a lot of people who are actually related by blood.
The MacKeage's  by Janet Chapman and her Highlander series

And a tie for first runner-up:  Jayne Ann Krentz created some of the quirkiest families ever- The Wainwrights and Starks from Trust Me, and the Strattons and Trevelyn's from Absolutely,Positively. I love them and have reread them many times.

I hope you enjoyed this weeks family theme. I know there are a lot more I could add, but the one's I listed are the one's that stand out in my memory. My friends and I look forward to hearing from you and your comments. Happy Thanksgiving!

5 comments:

  1. I love the Mackenzie's too. They are a great family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Black Dagger Brotherhood (JR Wards) and Lara Adrian's Guardians of Eternity... yep I tend to read PNRs lol. Great Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Virginia. Larissa Ione's would probably fall in that category too. I love PNR. I'm finishing your book right now. I'll have the review up tomorrow. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete