Thursday, October 10, 2013

Book Club Thursday : October 10th, 2013


Welcome again to Book Club Thursday

My friends and I hope you will enjoy our reviews on each of our blogs. Each month we will pick a book to review without discussing our views with each other. We have been friends for years and met thru our passion for reading. As book sellers, we also became members of a book club and now our passion has also turned to sharing our love of reading with our blogs. We are looking forward to hearing what you think.

Romancing The Readers-Ann

Born To Read-Cyndi

Divinely Ruined by Diane Alberts

Published by Entangled Publishing
April 26, 2012



Available at:
Amazon
Barnes and Noble
I Tunes
Kobo


My Review:  2 Hearts
May contain spoilers

     I really wanted to like this book. No, not a book, a novella. The premise is something I usually enjoy since I read so many romance genres. I liked the characters, flaws and all. I think Ms Alberts almost made me care about Rebecca and Tony with their back-stories. Almost. Rebecca's salty language didn't bother me. What I didn't like was the pacing of the story. I sometimes felt like I was watching a yo-yo going up and down. Liked this part, no didn't really like that, etc. The problems with novellas and their shorter length is sometimes a lot of desired information that a reader wants from a fuller, flesh-out story, is left out. This makes the story choppy and somewhat  unbelievable. I think that is what happened here.
      I didn't get how Rebecca could be an almost angel. This part was very confusing to me. I would have expected this story to have a little more magic to it.
     That said, there are other things that I did like in this story are the scenes with Tony's daughter, Miranda. To me, they rang true. Miranda was a sweet little girl and Tony's love for here was heartwarming. I also like Miranda and Rebecca together, too. Both Rebecca and Tony had some really hard luck, they both needed to work on their tempers, but with a touch of divine intervention, they are able to overcome a lot and find some happiness and family.
    All in all, this story felt a little flat for me.
    

I hope this review helped. This is just my opinion as a reader and blogger. Don't forget to check out my friends blogs listed above. Please check out our contest info below. And thanks for stopping by Book Club Thursday!


                                                CONTEST



CONTEST INFORMATION CONTEST INFORMATION CONTEST INFORMATION 
WANT TO WIN AN E-BOOK COPY OF OUR 24 OCTOBER THURSDAY CLUB BOOK?
Be sure to leave a comment about Divinely Ruined on ALL THREE of our blogs by midnight CST on 15 October. A winner will be chosen at random, notified by email and announced on our 17 October's Book Club Thursday Blogs. E-Books will be given through either Amazon or Barnes and Noble.



4 comments:

  1. I liked Rebecca and Miranda too. And agree that Tony was a good father. I I felt the story lacked development. I've read novellas in the the past where the author did a better job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miranda was the only one I really liked. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And after mentioning that Miranda's heart was broken, you would think they would have mentioned that and go wake up the girl to let her know things would be okay.

    ReplyDelete