Thursday, September 26, 2013

Welcome To our new Book Club Thursday

Fellow Bloggers: Romancing The Readers-Ann
                           Born To Read-Cyndi

First Up: Cowboy Take Me Away by Jane Graves
Product Details
My Review: 3 Hearts
Available now at Grand Central Publishing
May Contain Spoilers

     I had mixed feelings about this book. I have read and enjoyed Jane Graves books before. The title caught my eye because its a favorite song of mine by the Dixie Chicks.  But, less face it, this story-line has been done many times before. Bad Boy returns to hometown and meets the Good Girl who broke his heart. It didn't help that  my copy was messed up and I missed pages 53-85. Not off to a good start. I continued on.
     What won me over was that Ms Graves gave the hero a great heart. We watch Luke, a championship caliber bull rider return to town to settle affairs after his father passes away. He wants to be in and out as quickly as possible, there are no good memories here. Well, maybe one, the summer he and Shannon North worked together at the animal shelter. 
     Luke left town to make something of himself. He is filled with a lot of anger and it is justified. An injury prolongs his time in town and it forces him to spend time with Shannon who now runs the no kill animal shelter. The town watches him and judges him, but that doesn't stop him from reaching out to another fatherless boy, or finding a home for a nervous little dog, 
     He and Shannon fight their former feelings and finally put an end to their misunderstanding and finally find true love. 
     This is a nice comfort read. I would recommend it. Is it perfect? No. I thought it was a little slow in the beginning. But Ms Graves pulls on the emotional strings and had me wishing for something good to happen for the cowboy and the girl who always held his heart.


Spoilers:

It always bothers me in stories when these "ideal" little towns ignore an obvious case of child abuse. Luke experiences some painful memories that really tug at the heart strings.

I didn't understand why Shannon didn't find out why Luke was taken to jail, especially as she thought she was falling in love with him. She let her sister, who supposedly doesn't care what the parents think, lead her away.

3 comments:

  1. I really liked Luke. There was just something about him. He really did grow in life. Not like some of the others in that town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad we all had around the same thoughts on the book.

      Delete
  2. Luke was a great hero and I'm a sucker for books with animal story lines/roles.

    ReplyDelete